Thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR) is a surgery to repair the largest blood vessel in the body – the aorta. This traditional open surgery is necessary to strengthen a dangerous, weak and bulging blood vessel (aneurysm).An appointment with a cardiovascular surgeon requires a referral from your cardiologist or primary care provider.
For questions or more information, call (615) 342-7310.
How it works:
- You will be placed under anesthesia and your doctor will make a chest incision.
- Your doctor will place clamps above and below the aneurysm and the damaged part will be removed.
- A graft (tube) will stitched in to replace the damaged section.
- Oxygen-rich blood will pump through the strong, new graft to the rest of the body.
- Your doctor will remove the clamps and check for leaks.
- Your Heart Team will closely monitor and partner with you to create a custom plan for recovery and rehabilitation.